The parish of St. Isidore the Farmer was officially established ion April 20, 1910. Its history dates back to the founding of Mission San Jose. When the parish was founded, Danville was the center of an agricultural area. For this reason "Saint Isidore the Farmer" was then chosen as the patron of the parish. Our little chapel to the right of the sanctuary is dedicated to his wife, Santa Maria de la Cabeza.
St. Isidore, the patron of this parish, was born in Madrid, Spain in the 12th century. For a greater part of his life, he was emplyed as a laborer on a farm near Madrid. He was a devout man, attended Mass daily, and maintained a spirit of prayer as he went about his work. He was favored with celestial visions, and it is said that angels sometimes helped him with his work in the field. He was canonized in 1622. For more information about our parish, please see our parish website at www.st-isidore-danville.org
After many years as a parish, the construction of our school building was started in 1957 as a facility for CCD programs. One side of the main corridor contained four classrooms for this purpose. For two years, St. Isidore loaned space to the public school district as service to the community while plans were being made to open our Catholic school.
In September 1962, the Sisters of St. Francis of Philadelphia provided a staff of four Sisters to open the school The first eights class graduated in 1967. The Kindergarten was stared in 1982. The new lobby was built, along with additional resource rooms and a classroom in the fall of 1987. Thirteen classrooms were added for the 1997-98 school year.
St. Isidore actively involves parents in the educational process. The faculty and staff strive to challenge the full potential of each student. The subject areas have been enhanced with programs in art, technology, foreign language, physical education, and music.
The U.S. Department of Education in 1993-94 awarded St. Isidore the status of being a Blue Ribbon School. The school was nationally recognized as a school of academic excellence, and continues to promote high academic standards while providing a quality, caring, Catholic education.