Frequently Answered Questions
1. What is the age limit for transitional kindergarten program?
Children must turn 5 years old by March 1st. Transitional kindergarten is for children who do not make the age deadline for kindergarten or for those students who are not developmentally ready for kindergarten.
2. What if we don’t have enough students for the transitional kindergarten program? Will the program be cancelled if there are not 8-12 children?
We will run the transitional kindergarten program regardless of the number enrolled for this coming school year. We are planning for the program to be functional and fully operated by August 2016.
3. What will the curriculum be for the transitional kindergarten program? What is the philosophy of the program?
The curriculum is following the California Transitional Kindergarten guidelines set by California’s Department of Education. St. Isidore’s School is now providing a two year kindergarten program. One year is transitional kindergarten and the second year is the standard kindergarten program. Students enter where it best fits for their age, academic needs, and social development. The transitional kindergarten program includes a developmental approach that prepares student for the kindergarten year. The focus is building literacy, math, and social development in a nurturing Christ-centered environment
4. What are the hours of transitional kindergarten?
7:50 drop off – pick up 12:15. However, students are welcome to stay for the extended day option as it works for your family and child. The extended day option is from 12:15-2:50 and is included in the cost. This time allows for lunch, breaks, rest time, story time, and free choice exploration stations. The curriculum part of the day is included from 7:50-12:15 schedule.
5. What does a tentative schedule for the transitional kindergarten include?
The tentative schedule takes into account what is recommended by the state and is offered in other public and private transitional kindergarten programs.
Tentative Transitional Kindergarten Schedule:
• 7:50-9:00 Free Choice Exploration & Opening
• 9:00-10:00 Literacy Exploration & Snack Time
• 10:00-11:00 Math Exploration & Religion
• 11:00-12:00 Music, Movement, Content Area
• 12:00-1:00 Pick Up, Extended Care: Lunch, Recess