School History

St. Isidore, the patron of our parish, was born in Madrid, Spain, in the 12th century. For a greater part of his life, he was employed as a laborer, on a farm, near Madrid. He was a devout man, attended Mass daily and maintained a spirit of prayer as he went about his work. He was favored with celestial visions, and it is said that angels sometimes helped him with his work in the field. He was canonized in 1622. For more information about our parish, please click here.

The parish of St. Isidore, the Farmer, was officially established on April 20, 1910. Its history dates back to the founding of Mission San Jose. When the parish was founded, Danville was the center of an agricultural area. For this reason "Saint Isidore, the Farmer" was then chosen as the patron of the parish. Our little chapel to the right of the sanctuary is dedicated to his wife, Santa Maria de la Cabeza.

The construction of our school building was started in 1957 as a facility for CCD programs. One side of the main corridor contained four classrooms for this purpose. For two years, St. Isidore loaned space to the public school district as service to the community while plans were being made to open our Catholic school.

In September 1962, the Sisters of St. Francis of Philadelphia provided a staff of four Sisters to open the school. The first class graduated in 1967 and the Kindergarten was started in 1982. The new lobby was built, along with additional resource rooms and a classroom, in the fall of 1987. Thirteen classrooms were added for the 1997-98 school year when the school doubled in size. 

Currently, we have at least two classes for each grade, TK-8.  The subject areas have been enhanced with programs in art, technology, foreign language, physical education, music, along with a wide variety of enrichment classes for the middle school students.  St. Isidore School actively involves parents in the educational process and the faculty and staff strive to challenge the full potential of each student while we continue to promote high academic standards while providing a quality, caring, Catholic education.